Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:13:17 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Art Mattox <mattox@csd.uwm.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD

On Sun, 22 February 1998 at 23:42:49 -0800, Art Mattox wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am about to embark on the experience of installing FreeBSD from the
> four disc CDROM set v. 2.2.5.  Before doing this I will be installing a
> 4.3GB hard drive (EIDE) which will accompany my older 1.6GB EIDE hd.  My
> initial thoughts are that I will install the FreeBSD on the smaller
> drive and load win95 and various associated windows applications on the
> larger drive.  I am not interested in preserving any of the data or
> programs on the smaller drive and would prefer to start with two
> completely clean drives.
>
> I am looking for any suggestions/recommendations that anyone may offer
> to make this transition as painless and efficient as possible.  e.g.
> Some questions that come to mind are which OS should I install first?
> When should I erase everything on the smaller disk?

During the installation.  The installation process does this for you.

> (I prefer not to have an older windows/dos version detected.

If you overwrite it with FreeBSD, it doesn't matter what was there
before.

> I want to start with two completely clean hard drives.)  Another
> question that I wonder about are what potential snags or pitfalls
> can I encounter of which I might not be presently cognitive?
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Get a copy of "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm).  It contains much more
information than you'll get on a mailing list.

Greg