Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:21:02 -0600
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "Nathan Vidican" <nvidican@wmptl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Broadcom NDIS driver requires 4 additional functions

On 11/27/06, Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com> wrote:
> May be a dumb question... but I have the same laptop (HP Pavilion
> dv8000, 6.2-RC1/amd64) and have been unable to get it working nor debug
> myself... how/where did you upgrade the freebsd/ndis driver from;
> where/which windows driver files did you use? Are the ndis driver
> patches mentioned in this thread committed to CVS, or must it (the
> patch) be manually applied to the tree and the kernel re-compiled?

I downloaded the latest Windows NDIS driver directly from HP.

mkdir broadcom
cd broadcom
fetch ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33008.exe
cabextract -q -L -F 'bcmwl5*' sp33008.exe
ndisgen bcmwl5.inf bcmwl564.sys
kldload ./bcmwl564_sys.ko

Now if you load this driver on a system with an unpatched ndis.ko
module, it WILL crash your kernel.

This patch hasn't been committed to CVS yet, as I had two functions
that I was trying to get working:

  MmGetPhysicalAddress - fixed, if you use the original patch, just
add IMPORT_SFUNC_MAP(MmGetPhysicalAddress, pmap_kextract, 1) to
ntoskrnl.c, and remove everything in the #ifdef MMGETPHYSICALADDRESS
.. #endif.

  memchr - implemented but causes "cast discards qualifiers from
pointer target type" (copied from lib/libc/string/memchr.c).
Currently it is #ifdef MEMCHR .. #endif in the patch so it doesn't
interfer in building the ndis.ko module.

You'll need to apply the patch from my original message to the list,
and make the above change for MmGetPhysicalAddress.  Then you only
need to recompile the ndis.ko kernel module.

cd sys/modules/ndis
make obj
make
make install

Scot

--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.