Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:21:35 +1000
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-current@mawer.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@ngo.org.uk>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Avoiding bad sectors?

On 20/08/2006 7:52 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Sunday 20 August 2006 17:34, Doug Barton wrote:
>> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>>> The disk should remap the sector, if it refuses to write to the sector
>>> because it's out of remappable sectors
>> You forgot to add, "and then immediately go out and buy a new disk because
>> that one is toast." :)
>
> Heh, well not necessarily although I personally would be shopping..
>
> If the disk gets a dud sector and can't read it it won't remap it until you
> write to it. (I've seen this happen and someone else posted about it too)

I brought this up on -stable the other day... see the thread titled "The
need for initialising disks before use?" (17/08/06).

I've seen numerously "young" disks showing up plenty of read errors
(which smartctl seems to confirm are coming from the disk, and not
driver etc related), and would love to see some way to easily "fix" the
problem... these are all < 6mth old SATA drives...

Unfortunately dd'ing parts of an existing filesystem are a little more
complicated than when dealing with a swap partition :-(

-Antony