Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2006 09:59:26 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror Cannot add disk ad5 to gm0 (error=22)

R. B. Riddick wrote:
> --- Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:
>
>>ASUS RS120-E3 is barebone 1U rackmount with 8 (or 10?) fans, temperature
>>is monitored every 5 minutes by smartctl invoked from MRTG and displayed
>>in graphs. Disk drives temperature is under 40°C with heavy loaded system.
>>

> Hmm... I do not know modern disks, but my old disks (2003) have about 27 to 34
> deg Celsius. I would still guess ur disks r too hot... I had similar symptoms,
> when it became summer: First a lot of read/write errors, then the box could do
> so much - after a reboot it did not become better, so that I moved one disk to
> a cooler place (away from the other disk)...

Modern disks specifications allow temperatures to 55°C, for example my
home HDD has 50°C, on another machines I have disks with 51°C without
troubles. I 1U rackmount there is no cooler place - there is no space
:o). I will be happier, if disks will be cooler, but there is no way to
do it.

Miroslav Lachman