Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 1996 10:10:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Support for fixed-scan monitors

As Arve Ronning wrote:

> > Syscons (and pcvt) should start the same device as the BIOS, anyway.

> Given the quirks of BIOSes, that would have to be the [CEV]GA. I
> don't think syscons knows which device is being used by BIOS (please
> correct me if I'm wrong here). I haven't checked pcvt. So, I believe
> this is mostly a matter of choice (and not of using what BIOS uses).

This is a mistake of motherboard and BIOS vendors.  There used to be a
jumper on the motherboards back in the old days, denoting the prefered
graphics console.  (The BIOSes usually complained if it was set wrong,
i.e. choose a nonexistant adapter.)

pcvt correctly honors it, but i agree that this feature is now almost
worthless.

--
cheers, J"org