Date:      Wed, 9 Nov 2022 20:15:02 -0500
From:      Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lagg and multi-gigabit questions/proablems

> On Nov 9, 2022, at 14:32, Patrick M. Hausen <hausen@punkt.de> wrote:
>=20
>> Am 08.11.2022 um 06:38 schrieb Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>:
>> I have a newer Freebsd 12.3 system with lagg across two 1gbe =
interfaces.  There are a collection of vlan interfaces on the lagg.
>>=20
>> I would _expect_ to be able to get 2gbps, or just shy thereof.
>=20
> You are aware that LAGG/LACP will give you only a single interface's =
bandwidth
> for a single stream? That's by design, because reordering of TCP =
packets is bad.
>=20
> You would need to test with multiple endpoints, because most commonly =
distribution
> is per IP address hash.

Ahh, thank you.  While that makes perfect sense and I may have known it =
at
some point, I didn=E2=80=99t realize that now.  I was of course testing =
with only the=20
one stream.

Just now, I ran two iperf3 streams at the same time, from the same =
hosts.
For control, from my Mac with Gbe to the server, which got ~950 Mbits/s
in a single stream, got a consistent ~430 on each of two streams.
=46rom the FreeBSD system with 2Gbe LAGG, my results were not as
consistent, but above 1Gbit/s.  Sometimes it will run at 950 Mbits/s
and 700 Mbits/s in parallel, but other times it will run at variable =
speeds
more like 600-700 each.  In all cases, I think the total was
1200 Mbits/s or more.

I=E2=80=99m curious why I was seeing some stream at consistent high =
speeds,
and others at varying lower speeds, but I=E2=80=99ll just write that off =
as load
or activity on the hosts.

Thanks all.  Sorry for the noise, hopefully this being in the archives
will help someone else.  :-)

                   - Chris=