Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 08:13:34 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

> > I don't quite understand. The code I have has no restrictions apart from
> > the US crypto export one. What I am proposing to do is include it with a
> > library that has exactly the same restrictions. I want to do this to
> > reduce the number of libraries, seeing that some of what I am doing may
> > increase that number.
>
> The problem is that the API has been designed to meet US export code
> restrictions such that a non-crypto exported system can be easily
> turned into a crypto-enabled system external to the US without a lot
> of work.

AHA! This makes sense. (sorta!)

> It seems that the changes you want to make will result in someone having
> to get the API recertified as exportable.

True. I won't do it then.

> The net effect of this is that CDROM distributions will become *more*
> difficult to crypto-enable than they currently are.

Right. I'll stick with what we currently have (more-or-less). Is there any
reason that libcipher cannot be merged with libdes?

> > > There are also some reasons for wishing that the system crypt() were
> > > slower as opposed to faster than it is now.
> >
> > What are they, please? If it is to slow down hack-attacks, then this is
> > not really a reason, as a hacker could either bring his own fast crypt(3),
> > or we could slow down login(1) etc with sleep(3), giving us the advantage
> > with the crack programs.
>
> I agree that the hack-attack prevention is a poor reason for slowing down
> crypt().

Thanks! Are there any other (potential) reasons why crypt(3) should be slow?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200