Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 03:43:13 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and Linux (More Questions!)

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> The computer industry is NOT like it was 20 years ago, it is 1000 times
> vaster.  I can remember when I was 15, and it was actually possible at
> that time to "know everything worth knowing" at least in the PC desktop
> arena  (although we didn't call them PC's then)  That is why the userbase at
> that time was so adamantly for standardization on a single platform and
> software OS - because we all felt that the market was still graspable,
> and we wanted the standardization to keep it graspable.

You had a different userbase than I did. I remember there being a
half-dozen different PC choices, most of them miserable, and few - if
any - of them good. Of course, most of the people I hung around with
also remember working with snow white and the seven dwarfs, and
already knew that interoperability was something you got in a computer
line, at least until the manufacturer decided to play shell games to
kill the third party hardware market.

> "Industry standard" today is nothing more than a meaningless marketing term
> used by salespeople to try to convince the weak-minded to abandon a current
> solution and switch to a new one.

And you're more generous than I am about that. An industry standard is
what comes from the company the salesman you're talking to works for,
and "so-called standards" are what come from their competition.

The internet used to be the one place where interoperability was
important. I'm already miss it.

	<mike