Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:38:53 GMT
From:      Dong Lin <d.lin@post.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/91282: 6.0R install CD crashes at eip=0x90db

>Number:         91282
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       6.0R install CD crashes at eip=0x90db
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
              Shortly after booting from the install CD disc1, the following appeared on the screen:

BTX halted
<the x86 register file was dumpped here> ... EIP=0x90db

I think it might have something to do with how the CDROM drive is connected to the system. If it connects to an integrated IDE controller, it works. The motherboard has two integrated IDE controllers plus two integrated SATA controllers. But if the CDROM is connected to a plugin PCI ATA controller, the crash happens. The same setup can boot Linux and Windows CDs.

This is not 6.0R specific. A 5.x bootable CD also crashes on this configuration except it did not dump the registers and caused the BIOS to reboot directly.

>How-To-Repeat:

1. Connect a hard disk to an integrated IDE controller.

2. Plug in a PCI ATA controller (I used Promise PDC20267).

3. Connect a bootable CDROM drive to the plugin ATA controller. (I used  Lite-On LTN483S).

4. Boot the 6.0R install disc1.