Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:10:36 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FAQ addition

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 10:25:22AM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> Also <application> instead of <command>.  My (limited) understanding is
> when you're talking about a program or group of programs, it's
> <application>, and if you're talking about a somewhat specific command
> (like "rm -rf /"), it's <command>.  You could just skip that, and use
> &man.top.1; *grin*.
>
> Nik, can you give me a refresher? (:

S'in the primer.

==
4.2.5.2. Applications, commands, options, and cites

   You will frequently want to refer to both applications and commands
   when writing for the Handbook. The distinction between them is simple:
   an application is the name for a suite (or possibly just 1) of
   programs that fulfil a particular task. A command is the name of a
   program that the user can run.

   In addition, you will occasionally need to list one or more of the
   options that a command might take.

   Finally, you will often want to list a command with its manual section
   number, in the ``command(number)'' format so common in Unix manuals.

   Mark up application names with <application>.

   When you want to list a command with its manual section number (which
   should be most of the time) the DocBook element is <citerefentry>.
   This will contain a further two elements, <refentrytitle> and
   <manvolnum>. The content of <refentrytitle> is the name of the
   command, and the content of <manvolnum> is the manual page section.

   This can be cumbersome to write, and so a series of general entities
   have been created to make this easier. Each entity takes the form
   &man.manual-page.manual-section;.

   The file that contains these entities is in
   doc/share/sgml/man-refs.ent, and can be referred to using this FPI:
    PUBLIC "-//FreeBSD//ENTITIES DocBook Manual Page Entities//EN"

   Therefore, the introduction to your documentation will probably look
   like this:
    <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//FreeBSD//DTD DocBook V3.1-Based Extension//EN" [

    <!ENTITY % man PUBLIC "-//FreeBSD//ENTITIES DocBook Manual Page Entities//E
N">
    %man;

    ]>

   Use <command> when you want to include a command name ``in-line'' but
   present it as something the user should type in.

   Use <option> to mark up a command's options.

   This can be confusing, and sometimes the choice is not always clear.
   Hopefully this example makes it clearer.

   Example 4-36. Applications, commands, and options.

   Use:
    <para><application>Sendmail</application> is the most
      widely used Unix mail application.</para>

    <para><application>Sendmail</application> includes the
      <citerefentry>
        <refentrytitle>sendmail</refentrytitle>
        <manvolnum>8</manvolnum>
      </citerefentry>, &man.sendmail.8;, and &man.newaliases.8;
      programs.</para>

    <para>One of the command line parameters to <citerefentry>
        <refentrytitle>sendmail</refentrytitle>
        <manvolnum>8</manvolnum>
      </citerefentry>, <option>-bp</option>, will display the current
      status of messages in the mail queue.  Check this on the command

   Appearance:

   Sendmail is the most widely used Unix mail application.

   Sendmail includes the sendmail(8), mailq(8), and newaliases(8) programs.

   One of the command line parameters to sendmail(8)
   , -bp, will display the current status of messages in the mail queue.
   Check this on the command line by running sendmail -bp.
==