Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:28:21 -0500
From:      "Stevan S." <sjsan@bga.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies - "Handle me with care?"

Hey All,

I may be new to this list but I'm a experience user when it comes to the
Internet (including mail-list, news groups, chat), software,computers, etc.
 But after I read this I had to agree with Tim.  I don't understand why
someone would not encourage users to try different things.  If this was the
case I would not be where I am at today.  I remember the first PC I got and
when I opened it up I did not dare touch anything.  Well of course it came
time to upgrade the PC and to save $ I did the upgrade myself.  To my
surprise it was very simple to do.

In the past 3 years I came from Windows 3.* to Windows 95, and finally
Windows NT.  How did I get to Windows NT?  Learning how to use it!!!!  Not
sitting on my ass and not listening to that person who say "no don't to
that".  To me it is a bunch of sh*t  to be held down, not given the change
to learn.  Someone who discourages users to not trying something new really
has no purpose here.  I did not know anything about FreeBSD.  After months
or reading, searching and chatting with my Internet friends, I decided to
buy FreeBSD.  I had no clue on what to do or how to install it, etc.  So I
read, installed FreeBSD, CRASH FreeBSD, and Reinstall FreeBSD.  Over I
period of 2 week of trying, learning, crashing my system, asking questions
and just simply giving it a shot....I have learned a lot about FreeBSD.
Most of my real-life friends can't believe that I'm running a UNIX
environment on my 2nd PC.

The one thing that I notice right off when I joined this list was how a
particular user would snap at users, slapping their hands if the did
something wrong or something they did not like.  I felt they are handling
the situation the wrong way and proabaly would be better off they just kept
they mouth shut because it is not productive.  And if it is not productive
then it is a waste of time.

The bottom line is if a user wants to trying something new.....let them
try.  Isn't this supposed to be a learning experience even if you crash
your system?!?  It has for me.

Cheers,

Stevan

At 02:22 AM 6/22/98 -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
>(1) She believes newbies should act with caution; not play with
>freebsd-current, be careful when trying new things, etc, for fear of
>screwing up your system.  She told me not to EVER encourage anyone with
>less than 10 years experience to try freebsd-current, and stick with the
>stable release only.  Sorry, Sue, that's not how it goes:
>
>(2) I believe it's *experienced* BSD people who should be cautious, because
>they have long-established systems to maintain, hundreds of customizations
>that could be lost, customers that could get pissed, etc, etc.  Newbies
>should not only not just be careless, they should try anything and
>everything!  Set aside a partition on your hard drive that you can "play
>with" without fear of losing anything important if you want to.  Then throw
>caution to the wind and try everything!  If you screw something up, you're
>a lucky person... you now have the opportunity to learn how to fix it, so
>if it happens again, you'll know what to do next time.  Don't  wait to
>build your own custom kernel; Do it immediately and see if it works!  It's
>*easy* to recover from if it doesn't.  Wipe your BSD partition on a regular
>basis and try different types of installations.  Try the alpha releases of
>BSD and see how they work on your system.  Try commands you've never seen
>before.  Experiment.  Play around.  Make mistakes and learn how to fix
>those mistakes.  If you don't, you will stay a newbie for a long time.
>
>So, oh list reader, which philosophy do *YOU* subscribe to?
>

>--
>My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
>lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.

Stevan S.
DoGmAx@irc
sjsan@bga.com

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~aphex