Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:07:54 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: www/en Makefile

At 1 Mar 2001 14:58:19 GMT,
nik wrote:
> Way, way, way too late:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/news/
>     http://www.freebsd.org/news/index.html
>     http://www.freebsd.org/news/news.html
>
> and other examples (commercial/, copyright/, docproj/, gallery/,
> internal/, projects/, search/, security/).

Hmmm, disabling DirectoryIndex is harmful.  But I think news.html (in
above example) is not required to be installed... (IMHO)

> Much, much, much longer term I'd like to consider moving the documentation
> off on to its own subdomain, doc.freebsd.org or similar.  That's a
> sufficiently big project that I don't want to go anywhere near it at the
> moment, as we'd just get bogged down.

If you want documentations mirrored worldwide, should we use one
domain to be mirrored?  If we have two domains, management may be
complecated.

> > We now have good consistency for layout of documents and translated
> > ones.  We can get English Handbook via /handbook/ and Japanese Handbook
> > via /ja/handbook/.
>
> Is that appropriate for the foreign languages?  On the Japanese web
> site shouldn't /handbook/ default to the Japanese Handbook?

I don't know what method you want to use to achive this.  Currently we
can access many things only with /ja prefix to the English documents.
I like current "relative path" scheme with simple language prefix.

> I don't know the answer to this question.  I can see the point in having
> the same URLs go to identical content on the different language web
> sites.  But it also makes sense that some URLs are just shortcuts, that
> select a particular default.  And that on the translated web sites, the
> defaults should be for the content in the local language.
>
> I'd be interested to hear what others think.

I have no opinion this should be used or not, but Debian site uses
content negotiation for language selection.  It seems this can be one
of solutions if you want to show translated contents automatically.

> We should also periodically monitor the error logs, as people learn and
> bookmark the new URLs.  Suppose that, right now, .../FAQ/ gets 10,000
> hits a month (I've got no idea what the true figure is).  Eventually
> that'll drop, as the new URLs become commonplace.  We could agree that
> when the figure drops to something like 50 hits a month (which could
> take a year or more) we replace .../FAQ/ with a message that says "This
> content has moved to...".

Agreed.  (But Wolfram said old URL will be accessed many times after
moving away. :-))

--
Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> // IMG SRC, Inc.
             <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org> // FreeBSD Project