Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:23:58 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com>
To:        Nick LoPresti <nick@chromatix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS Question

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 12:13:53AM -0400,Nick LoPresti did mutter:
> Here's my situation:
>
> 1.  I would like to set up NIS on my network.
> 2.  I have one FreeBSD system(2.2.6)
> 3.  I have many other flavors of Unix on this network
> 4.  I would like the FreeBSD system to export it's passwd and group files to
> the other machines
>
> How do I achieve this?  Do I just run ypserv & ypbind?   Any FAQ's around???

 First... this is more properly a freebsd-questions question. Not
 hackers and not net. ( although there is *some* connection there ).

 1.  ok
 2.  ok  (upgrade! ;-)
 3.  ok
 4.  you can do this .. but ... just to know NIS is not that secure ..
 there are issues around outsiders binding to your server, around
 sending cleartext passwords across the network.. about forcing hosts
 to rebind .. etc..

 I have HP and FreeBSD boxen here galore .. we use NIS ... but are
 switching to LDAP because our site has just gotten too big for NIS to
 work correctly in this environment.

 I would get the "red" book ( Unix System Administrators Handbook by
 Nemeth et al. ) and or " Managing NFS and NIS" .

  - branson