Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 09:49:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris Fanning <cfanning@jingoro.prevmed.sunysb.edu>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MBUFs and IPFW revisited

> Chris Fanning <cfanning@jingoro.prevmed.sunysb.edu> writes:
> > options "NMBCLUSTERS=1024"
>
> As DG pointed out, the Fine Documentation (otherwise known as Source
> Code, or /usr/src/sys/conf/param.c) is a good place to look for
> information on mbufs. Carfeul reading of the aforementioned file
> uncovers the fact that the default value for NMBCLUSTERS is (512 +
> MAXUSERS * 16). This means that unless you had MAXUSERS set to
> something below 32, setting NMBCLUSTERS to 1024 may not have had the
> effect you intended, since 512 + 32 * 16 = 1024.
>
> I have plenty of RAM to blow on my home -stable box, so I have
> MAXUSERS set to 64 and NMBCLUSTERS set to 8192.

Good point.  I originally had it set to 2048 (maxusers=20) but I changed
things around seeing if I could get the max number to change.  Of course,
it wouldn't because it was peak, not max. :)

Jingoro's got 128MB RAM which is probably enough for a largish NMBCLUSTERS
setting.  I have to admit, I don't look at the sources much, -stable has
been very kind to me for the 2+ years I've been running it.

Chris