Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 2021 11:00:28 +0200
From:      "Herbert J. Skuhra" <herbert@gojira.at>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packages : perl5-5.30 outdated but forced for any package

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 09:47:18AM +0200, Xavier Humbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to install via pkg a Python module that won't compile. I know it's Bad
> to mix ports and packages, but it doesn't compile for an unknown reason, and
> I need it.
>
> When I do
>
> pkg install devel/py-platformdirs
>
> It says
>
> > New packages to be INSTALLED:
> > perl5.30: 5.30.3_1
> > py38-platformdirs: 2.3.0
> >
> > [...]
> > =====
> > Message from perl5.30-5.30.3_1:
> > [...]
> >
> > ===>   NOTICE:
> >
> > This port is deprecated; you may wish to reconsider installing it:
>
> Why does pkg insist to install an old, outdated version of perl (I have an
> up-to-date perl already) ?
>
> Please consider updating perl in Packages (latest is afaik 5.34)

1. PERL5_DEFAULT in FreeBSD is 5.32. Use DEFAULT_VERSIONS in
/etc/make.conf to use a newer version.
2. If I run 'pkg install py39-platformdirs' or 'pkg install
py38-platformdirs' pkg does not try to install and old perl5 version.
3. make package-depends-list does not list perl5

You should check your system. What's the output of 'pkg info perl5'?

--
Herbert