Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:54:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   named questions - master records?

Hi everybody;

If I knew of a good named newsgroup or mailing list, I'd be on it.
However, I though the FreeBSD guru group would be well equipped to answer
my question :-)

I am attempting to set up a master zone file for a small block of IP
addresses that I have received from my upstream provider.

Basically, I own x.y.z.96 through x.y.z.103 (8 IP addresses).  The rest of
z. is not mine to control.  Currently, my ISP has created zone files for
www, ftp, and MX/mail.  However, they will allow me to run my own
nameserver, and will handle the reverse DNS entries on their end for no
cost.

I intend to begin virtual hosting (name based, on two of my IP addresses).

So, the hosts, then:

x.y.z.96 - www   97 - mail  98 - ftp  99 - *virtuals  100 - ntstn  101 -
tucows  102 - ns1  103 - ns2

So, for any additional domain names (on .99), I need to create entries in
my master zone file.  I have the following in my named.conf:

zone "96/8.z.y.x.IN-ADDR.ARPA." {
  type master;
  file "hosts.rev.z";
};

no secondaries defined, and I have temporarily disabled forwarders to aid
in testing new setup.  I DO have the default "." root entry intact.

Question:  What is the proper way to mask the IP addresses so only IPs 96
thru 103 are controlled?  I've looked at RFC2317, and the above is the
best I could come up with.

So, hosts.rev.z resembles the following:

$ORIGIN	96/8.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa.
@	IN	SOA	ns1.sasknow.com. root.sasknow.com. (
				19990821  ; Serial
				3600	  ; Refresh
				900	  ; Retry
				3600000   ; Expire
				3600)	  ; Minimum
102		NS	ns1.sasknow.com.
103		NS	ns2.sasknow.com.
97		PTR	www.sasknow.com.
.
.
.
etc

Again, is my masking correct, or have I messed something up there?  Have I
specified the hosts correctly?

All of these addresses (currently) reside on the same box.

In /etc/resolv.conf, I've removed all DNS entries except for x.y.z.102 and
x.y.z.103 (equivalent to localhost).

I want to be sure that I have this set up correctly before I go ahead and
make a mess.

I'm also assuming that I have to ask my upstream provider to delegate
those IPs to my control before anything will take effect.

Is there a way for me to test my configuration WITHOUT upsetting
connectivity with my hosts that are already maintained by my ISP?  I
really don't want any downtime due to my own stupidity :-)

Thanks,
Ryan Thompson