Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 23:45:11 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Andriss" <andriss@argate.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bin, sbin, another bin...

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 20:21:04 -0500 (EST), Andriss wrote:

>Who was the original `inventor' and what flavour was it?
>Also, when did it split onto System V, BSD and all the
>other numerous unixes?

According to Maurice Bach, author of "The Design of the UNIX Operating
System", UNIX was invented by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, and others
sketching a file system design on paper which was later implemented by
Thompson on a PDP-7 in 1969.  He had to assemble the code on a GECOS
(Honeywell 635) and move it to the PDP-7 via paper tape!!

Bell Labs licensed UNIX to universities at a substantially lower fee
than to commercial interests.  And most computer companies weren't
interested in dropping their own proprietary, lucrative OSs in favor of
a "universal" OS.  Berkeley, or BerZerkeley, UNIX began as additions to
the OS in the form of additional utilities/programs.  Bill Joy created
the Fast File System, before co-founding Sun.

Eventually, Berkeley lost government funding, but it was too late.
UNIX now moves forward because of the efforts of religious fanatics,
thank God.  I've been in this profession for 22yrs, and it becomes a
Microsoft world, I'm changing professions.  I don't want my good name
ruined by Microsoft.  They offer the poorest quality Computer Science
I've seen over the years.