Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:06:45 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed code merge, objections?

> > > I've been told there is no official policy on this, so I want some
> > > feedback.  I am considering currently a merge of the alog driver
> > > (Industrial Computer Source AIO8-P) into -stable.
> >
> > -stable is not meant to accumulate new features from -current.  Unless
> > there are strong reasons, new drivers should not migrate there.  This
> > _is_ official policy.

Particularly in the case of Jamil's driver, which is unlikely to be
particularly useful to anyone other than Jamil as anything other than a
sample.

> So to put things differently, what is the policy to move features
> from -current to -stable ? Unfortunately we don't have a port
> category for kernel enhancements, maybe we should add one.

If a feature is nonintrusive and subject to popular demand, migration
after a vetting period in -current is worth considering.  Also bear in
mind that often things would make it back to -stable if there was
someone that was a) using the feature and b) had the time and resources
(eg. a -stable system) to do the backport with.

mike