Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 22:00:33 -0400
From:      Stephen Couchman <Stephen.Couchman@imagenet.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Jaz drive questions

I have installed a Jaz drive as sd1 (SCSI id #2).  I am using an Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI
host adapter.  FreeBSD does not seem to recognize the drive and produces the following
messages:

(ahc0:2:0): "iomega jaz 1GB G.60" type 0 removable SCSI 2
sd1(ahc0:2:0): Direct-Access
sd1(ahc0:2:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
1021MB (2091050 512 byte sectors)

I would like to use this Jaz drive as a second hard disk to backup the contents of my
bootable (SCSI) disk.

I tried installing FreeBSD 2.1 on the Jaz drive by choosing sd1 as the destination.
Unfortunately, the install program started re-installing sd0! :-((

How can I determine the correct geometry for the drive?  How do I setup that geometry so that
FreeBSD recognizes the drive?

How can I partition the drive and setup the filesystems?  I have looked at disklabel and
newfs, and would appreciate a short example.

I would really appreciate ANY advice that you can give.

Thanks -- Stephen

Stephen.Couchman@imagenet.on.ca		 http://www.imagenet.on.ca/