Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 19:04:55 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: guspnp12 again 8)

>From The Desk Of Johan Larsson :
> I better say this first: Good job.. :-)

Tnks and don't worry about reporting bugs , right now all I am interested
is mopping up the sound driver and shape it up , is that simple.

> Now i have done some testing with my sb16pnp card. And i must say it works
> a lot better than the last guspnp12 =P
>
> Well, after some quick tests.. Splay don't work, and it's some kind of
> clicking then i start rat (some kind of probing?). Playmidi still have
> some problems playing on both channels. The first time it plays on both,
> the second on the left, the third on both and so on...

Tnks I will look into . My first couple of tries over here with
playmidi everything worked fine , I guess I have to test it some more
to see if I can spot the bug. The gus sounds much better 8)

> Splay:
> [johan@moon][ttyp1] ~/mp3/beck-odelay >splay 01-devils_haircut.mp3
> splay: Failed to open sound device. (mpg123 works just superb).
>
> Rat:
>  Failed to set non-blocking mode on audio device!

We currently don't support rat. If the author cares to send me the
source which they have in the past, we will be able to fix
whatever problems they have with respect to the sound driver.

> kernellog:
> Jul 28 00:38:39 moon /kernel: sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
> Jul 28 00:38:39 moon /kernel: SoundBlaster 16 4.13> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1
> Jul 28 00:38:39 moon /kernel: sbxvi0 at ? drq 5 on isa
> Jul 28 00:38:39 moon /kernel: SoundBlaster 16 4.13>  dma 5
> Jul 28 00:38:39 moon /kernel: sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
> Jul 28 00:38:40 moon /kernel: SoundBlaster MPU-401> at 0x330
> Jul 28 00:38:40 moon /kernel: opl0 at 0x388 on isa
> Jul 28 00:38:40 moon /kernel: Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
>
> I don't really know if i'm doing the right thing then i'm testing to
> record something. Please tell me if i'm doing wrong..
>
> Recording from cd:
> 	cat /dev/audio > test.au
> 	cat /dev/dsp > test.dsp
> 	cat /dev/dspW > test.dspW
>
> Play files:
> 	cat test.au > /dev/audio
> 	cat test.dsp > /dev/dsp
> 	cat test.dspW > /dev/dspW
>
> All this seems to work just fine. There are a click then i'm
> starting a playback.

Ah, the click. Not sure if I will fix it for this release .

> When i'm recording from mic and dspW and plays thatfile, the first second
> i hear sounds from the previous playback(only the dspW device). It seems
> that something is not cleared right. I will do some further testing and
> see if i come up with something, but right now i'm to tired to understand
> what i'm doing :)

Don't worry , I can track it down over here specially with Luigi's
isa_dmapoll 8)

> Humm, rplay got this (it worked the first 3 times :/ ):
> 	Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
>
> And rplay sounds not as good than with the original driver.

Not sure how to quantify this one however I will try do sort it out.

> Hopefully you get something out of all this.. :-) The driver
> seems more stable now a days, but it sounds not as good :/ (how can that
> be?? The sound i mean ;).

A bit more difficult to qualify however I will  do my best.

All in all I say that we are in good shape with some minor "kinks"

	Tnks a lot!
	Amancio