Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:31:43 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <myevmenk@exodus.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>, re@FreeBSD.ORG, Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth code

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Sam Leffler wrote:
> > > The counterargument is "port NetGraph to NetBSD, OpenBSD, and BSDI".
> > >
> > > The issue that's being raised here is "Who gets to lead the parade?";
> > > the answer "Be a follower, not a leader" isn't very satisfying to
> > > anyone.
> >
> > The issue is should we commit something to the source tree that may be of
> > limited use to people.  If the software provides functionality to a
> > significant group of people then I'm open to its inclusion  regardless of
> > whether it's present in any other system.  However one must not lose sight
> > that adding code to the source tree has a cost, independent of whether it is
> > "hooked up to the build".  If the code doesn't have someone to maintain it
> > as the system changes then it can become a boat anchor.
>
> Well, the Bluetooth code has an active developer, it has some
> applications that are available for it already, and it's severable
> from the main source tree in a way that boat anchors aren't.
>
> There's some small argument that's valid, that if ports are written
> to use a Netgraph bluetooth stack, they won't be that portable to
> other BSD's that don't have Netgraph.  This is a valid argument,
> but it appears that NetBSD doesn't even have real Bluetooth at this,
> point, so it's kind of moot.

the ports *will not* be tied to the Netgraph. they *never were*.
there is no reason to re-invent the wheel. my current ports are
from Linux BlueZ include SDP, RFCOMM, hcidump and l2test. ports
*do use* similar API - Bluetooth sockets. what i do is

1) remove autoconf
2) fix #include's
3) fix constant's etc.
4) remove/rewrite some Linux specific stuff

it usually takes about 4 hours to make a complete working port
(including basic interoperability testing). BlueZ author and i
currently discussing common API to make porting even easier.
Linux is more advanced in Bluetooth (Linux has three(!) stacks:
BlueZ, Affix and OpenBT). i'm trying to learn from them and do
not make the same mistakes.

> > Code rot is unhealthy for maintaining quality software.  Code rot
> > happens quickly when noone uses it.
>
> I disagree.  There is no such thing as code rot.  There are only
> jerks who changes working interfaces, and fail to maintain the
> code that uses them.  I have an example list a mile long on that
> one, too.  Institutionalizing the acceptability of "code rot" is
> institutionalizing the acceptability of being a jerk.  It's a
> completely seperate issue from whether or not code falls into
> disuse.

max