Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:19:39 -0600
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default configuration for xorg-drivers (WTF?)

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 15:29 -0800, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> In message <1262092734.2314.15.camel@balrog.2hip.net>, you wrote:
>
> >> Call me dense, but hope somebody can explain to me how this makes sense.
> >
> >run "make rmconfig && make config" in the xorg-drivers port.  Your
> >config is likely stale.
>
> Hummm... OK.  I learned something today.
>
> So, ah, basically you're telling me that "portsnap fetch update" DOES NOT
> flush out old/crusty/outdated port config files, yes?
>
> I confess, that I didn't know that.  (I was under the naive impression
> that "portsnap fetch update" made everything lovely, beautiful, and, most
> importantly, current.  I guess not.  Oh well.  Forewarned is forearmed.
> Thanks for the info.)
>
> As to my other question, I'm still looking for some reassurance:
>
> >> But ummm...... Why is it that in the current up-to-date files relating to
> >> the xorg-drivers port, the openchrome driver is, by default, *de-selected*?
> >>
> >> Should I be worried?
> >>
> >> Is there something broken about the current openchrome driver?
>

> Is the current openchrome driver safe for mere mortals like me (e.g.
> when used with K8M890) ?

It should be as good as it gets...  My experience with via hardware is
limited, since I've only recently acquired a CLE266 based board to work
on drm.  At present, there is no hardware acceleration on via hardware
on FreeBSD, but yes, it should work.

AFAIK, it does not support chrome9 parts, (I have a VX800 board as
well).  It is hard to get good info out of via regarding exactly what
model numbers map to what, but I think your board is a unichrome part,
which should work.

It is a better alternative than vesa, which is your only other option.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD