Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 2015 22:16:59 -0700
From:      Navdeep Parhar <nparhar@gmail.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
Cc:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, Mark Schouten <mark@tuxis.nl>
Subject:   Re: Frequent hickups on the networking layer

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 01:08:00AM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:06:02 -0400 (EDT), Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> said:
> > As far as I know (just from email discussion, never used them myself),
> > you can either stop using jumbo packets or switch to a different net
> > interface that doesn't allocate 9K jumbo mbufs (doing the receives of
> > jumbo packets into a list of smaller mbuf clusters).
>
> Or just hack the driver to not use them.  For the Intel drivers this
> is easy, and at least for the hardware I have there's no benefit to
> using 9k clusters over 4k; for Chelsio it's quite a bit harder.

Quite a bit harder, and entirely unnecessary these days.  Recent
versions of the Chelsio driver will fall back to 4K clusters
automatically (and on the fly) if the system is short of 9K clusters.
There are even tunables that will let you set 4K as the only cluster
size that the driver should allocate.

Regards,
Navdeep