Date:      Sun, 23 May 2004 15:50:00 -0400
From:      Brian Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Leak

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 10:30:42PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Any suggestions for leak detectors that work in real-time or in
> response to some external signal?  In a threaded application would be
> ideal.
>
> I've hacked malloc to add the stack traceback to the utrace info
> that's output by malloc.  However, for applications that run for days,
> and tend to allocate and free a lot of memory, you gotta have lots of
> local storage.  The restrictions in the kernel that requires this to
> be a real file makes it harder.
>
> Also, there's a difference between what's in use and what is leaking..

Try boehm-gc; I run the following local patch to the ports to fix
a few things and let me enable compile options from the ports
infrastructure.  You can call the detector at any time to see if any
leaks have occurred made.

<URL:http://green.homeunix.org/~green/boehm-gc.diffs>;

  <> green@FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \