Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2012 19:56:37 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.0-RELEASE amd64 Bricked My Hard Drive

On Jan 5, 2012, at 7:16 PM, Bill Tillman wrote:

> Today I encountered a problem which has me stumped. I downloaded and
> burned the ISO image for 9.0-RELEASE for amd64. I  installed an older
> IDE hard drive to test the new OS with and did the install. I was very
> surprised at the (1) the dvd is actually a live CD if you wanted it to be
> and (2) the installers screens have all been revamped. I can't say for su=
re
> if the partitioning part was where it went south on me because I was
> attempting to setup some additional partitions but the input screens had
> me confused and I pressed Auto so it took off and made the default
> paritions. I thought cool, I'll let the install finish and check things o=
ut then
> reinstall later with the partition setup I wanted. Well the install finis=
hed and
> then I attempted to reboot the system but nothing happened. And by that I
> mean the computer's flash screen would come up and give me the choice
> to enter the Bios Setup or Boot Menu and that's all. I could not enter the
> bios setup or the Boot menu. The keyboard was still responding as I
> could press the CapLock key and toggle the light on and off, but outside
> of that the computer would not boot. On the advice of some of the techs
> in #FreeBSD channel I moved the drive over to another computer which
> was working fine, and the same thing happened. The computer would
> start up, show me the flash screen to do the Bios setup and then nothing.
> I put the other drive back in and it worked fine. I tried another computer
> and the results were the same. Now it gets really wierd. I thought that I
> could just make this IDE drive a slave and boot with another drive and
> cleanup the mess. But no matter which computer I chose, and no matter
> how I setup the Slave/Master drive, as long as this drive which I had
> installed FreeBSD-9.0-amd64 was in the loop, the computer would
> lockup at the bios screen. I could not get anything to boot if this drive
> was in the loop. If I removed it everything was fine. So basically,
> FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE bricked an otherwise good 80GB hard drive
> and I can't seem to recover it.
>=20=20
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.=20=20=20

Can you get into the BIOS of the original machine *while the bad drive is d=
isconnected* ?

If so, I'd try changing the boot options in the BIOS to boot from something=
 like external USB but not from IDE.

You'll want to find settings that are geared towards totally eliminating th=
e possibility that the BIOS will scan the drive as a boot device.

Depending on your BIOS settings, this may involve changing the "Boot Order"=
 to not include IDE (or ATA), or if you find it as a numbered boot device, =
disabling that numbered device (e.g. you see "Boot Device 2" and it says "I=
DE", see if it offers "Disabled" as an option).

If you can successfully change your boot options in the BIOS to not scan th=
e IDE channels, ... remember, the drive is still not connected at this poin=
t ... then you should be able to connect the drive and get the same result =
-- the BIOS will tell you there's no bootable devices attached (as you've, =
hopefully, been able to disable that source of devices from the list of tho=
se probed/scanned).

At this point, you now need to find something other than IDE to boot from (=
as you've now disabled that type of device -- including CD/ROM).

Hopefully your system is new enough to boot from USB media.

Grab DruidBSD Tools disk on another (working) machine ...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/druidbsd/files/Druid-0.0.iso/download

Descriptions here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/druidbsd/files/

Get yourself a USB thumb drive.

NOTE: Say goodbye to what's currently on your thumb drive -- make backups t=
o another machine before you do this.

1. Execute before you attach your thumb drive: sysctl kern.disks
2. Insert thumb drive
3. Execute after you've attached the thumb drive: sysctl kern.disks
4. Identify the newly-available "da#" device
5. Execute (replacing "da#" with the appropriate device name) as root (or s=
udo(8)):

	dd if=3DDruid-0.0.iso of=3D/dev/da# bs=3D512k conv=3Dsync

HINT: You can press Ctrl-T while it's writing the ISO file to the thumb dri=
ve to get a (somewhat) helpful progress indication.

When finished, you can use your USB thumb drive to do all sorts of rescue-w=
ork, including wiping the bad drive with Darik's Boot and Nuke (lol) -- use=
d for secure government wipes -- or Active (R) Kill Disk Free Edition, both=
 on the disk linked-to above. There's also Seagate Disk Utilities, which so=
me of our field engineers found useful (I think it-too has a disk-wiper).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.