Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:22:37 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A proposal for code removal prior to FreeBSD 13

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > A few of us are working on a list of programs and other code that we'd
> > like to remove before FreeBSD 13.  If others with to collaborate on this
> > removal, or discuss it, please do so here.
> >
> > The list is being maintained on the project WIki:
> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhatsGoing/FreeBSD13
>
> I am going to ask that all parties who want to "deprecate" code
> first work with imp@ (Warner) to formalize the policy and procedure
> for doing such that was promised by "release 12.0", then start on
> this activity of deciding what can and can not go.

Good idea.

> The ad hoc history of deprecation, especially without even
> following our current model, is not helping the projects
> image with users going "wtf, they took out foo???"

Yes.

> timed was removed outside of current procedure, and that should
> be corrected ASAP, as one developer has already spoken up that
> they are using it.

Yes

Warner wrote:
> In this case, we can trivially extract timed into a port and we'd be done.

If the demolisher won't write a port please revert it to src/

I followed https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhatsGoing/FreeBSD13 Timed
links, i didnt find why removed or what should replace it to continue
support of timed protocol.  There'll be lots of old heregenous nets
in the world, some behind firewalls, still using timed.

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> (e) Has anybody ever run timed(8) on FreeBSD in the first place ?
> (f) What was wrong with them ?

My net first used timed for a Symmetric 375 "Half a Vax" designed by Bill J.
UCB 4.2, with src/ , sys/ failed  http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/symmetric/
timed is still useful behind a wall.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant Sys.Eng. BSD Linux Unix, Munich Aachen Kent
 First referendum stole 700,000 votes from Brits in EU;  3,700,000 globaly.