Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 12:06:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nathan Lawson <nlawson@statler.csc.calpoly.edu>
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ownership of files/tcp_wrappers port

> Let me state, completely, my objections to adding the tcp wrapper code:
>
> 	(a) there are several similar competing bits of code out there
> 	    that do similar things -- wrappers is not the only way to go

I've only heard of xinetd, and Mike Neumann's binetd, but that's for SunOS
only.  There are plenty of competing mailer packages besides sendmail, but
sendmail comes installed by default.  Why?  Because it's the industry standard
mailer.  Look on any system that uses any kind of access control and it's
very likely that they are using tcp_wrappers.  Why?  Because it's smaller,
easy to configure, and well-written.

I think your arguments could be extended to say that "let's have sendmail be
a port since many sites are not Internet or even UUCP connected.  It's easy
to install if a user should desire it.  Besides, I have a firewall and use
a custom package anyway, so it would save space on my system, as well as all
the work to keep up-to-date (what with all the holes and security patches that
sendmail has gone through)"

The real problem here is that FreeBSD doesn't have a very dynamic installation
system.  I think it would be good if people had a way to specify which
utilities they wanted installed.  The whole bindist thing is the root of this
problem.  Everyone wants a small utility that they use often to be installed
by default, but the people who don't use it could care less.  Splitting things
up into smaller packages would be nice (perhaps a feature only activated when
you are doing a Custom install).  There would be menus that say things like
"select a mailer" and you can choose sendmail, smail, mmdf, or none.  The
sendmail option screen could be a subset of "Are you Internet connected?".
That way things could be subdivided.  An advantage I see of this is that
smaller installs overall would be possible, making it easy to custom tailer
a whole range of boxes to your own taste.  Also, there would be less bandwidth
used on ftp.cdrom.com (and other sites).  A big disadvantage is it would be
a lot of work initially to set up the system, but once it was done, it would
be pretty trivial to make up a description file for each package.

> 	(b) it's already trivial for a user to add this support into the
> 	    base system should they desire it

Not true.  Many utilities like mountd, portmap, and ypserv have to be
recompiled to have additional access control, inetd.conf has to be changed,
etc.  Repeat this on several hundred machines and you start seeing Slackware's
divided install look pretty good.

> 	(c) incorporating it into the base system means more work to support,
> 	    test, debug, and maintain the code

Possibly, but this code is not very dynamic.  It hasn't changed much over the
several years it's been offered.  Debugging should be a breeze too. I've
never had a problem from it.  I've compiled it on just about every system that
it supports, except Unicos, and there have never been any problems.

> 	(d) the wrapper changes duplicate much of the access logging and
> 	    control we have already included directly in the system

Again, this is only half-true.  Rlogin/rsh do log more a la logdaemon.  But
what about telnetd, fingerd, and the many many others?

> 	(e) they don't cover the case of UDP programs

Hmmm.  I may be wrong, but it works fine with talkd and talk requests are
transmitted via UDP.

> If you can address these issues, then I will withdraw my objections.

I believe I have in a small way.  Of course, you ignored the issue of bin
ownership.  I should have made them seperate issues  :)

--
Nate Lawson   \Yeah, I was dreaming through the 'howzlife', yawning, car black,
Owner:         \when she told me 'mad and meaningless as ever...' and a song