Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:50:29 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Jason Scott Musits <jmusits@flashmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600E and sound

> From: Jason Scott Musits <jmusits@flashmail.com>
> Date: 18 Nov 2003 17:56:30 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> I tried the configuration Chris suggested:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2003-November/002346.html
> and I still didn't have any luck.  dmesg gives me the following lines:
> csa0: <CS4610/CS4611> mem 0x50000000-0x500fffff,0x50100000-0x50100fff
> irq 11 at device 6.0 on pci0
> csa: card is Unknown/invalid SSID (CS4610)
> device_probe_and_attach: csa0 attach returned 6
>
> And when I try to run mpg123 I get the following error:
> Can't open /dev/dsp
>
> If I try and run XMMS I get this error:
> ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device not configured
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

This indicates that the sound system is being connected as a PCI device
and that won't work. Are you sure you made the correct patch to
/sys/conf/files?

I don't have my 600E here, so I can't tell exactly what the proper
output of the device probe is, but I do remember that this message
indicated and incorrect attachment.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)