Date:      Wed, 6 Jul 2011 18:01:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      George Sanders <gosand1982@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Are thumpers still interesting in 2011 ? (raidz3 on x4500 @ 3.0gbps ...)

Gerrit Khun wrote:

I am still looking for a viable replacement of LSI1068e-based cards for
home-built ZFS servers. This LSI chipset does not support drives larger than 2TB

which has become a serious limitation for me. I read that the LSI2008 is
supposed to be some kind of follow-up, and it should be supported with recent
FreeBSD's mps driver. However, I could not find any cheap (non-hw-raid) cards
with 8 channels (or more) like there are with the old LSI1068 chipset. Are there

any recommendations?

Is this indeed the case ?  The six controllers that are built into a "thumper"
(a x4500) cannot see space beyond 2TB on a single disk ?

This is very good information - thank you - as I was considering using an old
x4500 with 3TB disk drives...

Is there really no firmware update - from either LSI or Sun - that fixes this ?