Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 13:33:47 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
Cc:        outlawtx@bga.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some food for thought...(aka rant of the day)

Thomas Good wrote:

> Basically the *only* difference between Linux distributions is system
> initialisation.  RedHat is very System V.  So if you know UnixWare or
> Solaris, RH is not *that* far off.  Slackware is very BSD, in fact the
> development teams know one another and share ideas.  After all, Walnut
> Creek is both their homes.  SuSe and Debian are somewhere in the middle.

I was meaning something a little different. Of course, underneath, all
of the linuces are similar. However, over the top of that they all have
a different veneer. For someone who doesn't know Unix inside and out,
that veneer becomes important. They won't know each and every
configuration file by heart. They won't know that Redhat stores foo.rc
under /etc/foo while SuSE stores it under /etc/bar. So they'll do what
the manual tells them to do, and fire up Linuxconf, or YaST, or COAS, or
SAS, or whatever. This is the veneer, and it doesn't matter how much you
know the Corel veneer, it won't do you any good for SuSE or Debian. And
unlike typical open source software, these administration tools only
work for the distro they're designed for. Proficiency in YaST is useless
when you're faced with a Mandrake box.

To the average Linux user, Debian is as different from Caldera as IRIX
is from HPUX.

A big advantage to FreeBSD and it's cousin Slackware, is that by and
large the veneer has been stripped away. This makes them much more
difficult to learn, but at least you're learning generic all-purpose
Unix instead of locking yourselves into a single distro.

David