Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:56:50 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        Jason Halbert <jason@jason-n3xt.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi

Roelof roled,
> Jason Halbert wrote:

> > Why is vi the default choice of editor for UNIX and how did it become=

> > the default?  I find it cumbersome.

> Because they weren't there at the time. Besides, it's a big step up fro=
> having to use ed. As far as I can remember there were only vi and an
> early version of emacs. WordStar only came on the scene 1980 something
> and ran only on CP/M.

It also *is* the standard. If you know vi, you can count on  being =

able to edit at any unix machine you come across from the last 20 =

years or so; this isn't true for any other editor (ok, ed & ex, but ex =

and vi are the same program anyway).  In fact, at nearly anything other =

than debian, you can use vi on a partway installed system or from =

rescue disks.  Therefore anyone serious about the issue knows vi, =

therefore all systems have it, . . .

Settling on a new stanadard, simple editor would require universal =

agreement, and do you really think that *that* is going to happen?

Besides, vi is the one true editor, and only heretics use emacs.

> It was available, the rest wasn't <g>. The edge over emacs was its size=

> and simplicity. Not to mention its weird attraction on programmers ;).

ahem.  It is a natural and glorious attraction.  When God wrote the =

universe in Fortran, he used vi.

hawk

-- =

Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon cam=
paign =

dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mai=
These opinions will not be those of                 X    and postings =

Penn State until it pays my retainer.              / \ =