Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 16:13:18 -0500
From:      Aaron Leiba <aml@risca.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPPD 2.3 - Help needed

Hi all,

In a recent attempt to switch from PAP to CHAP authentication on PPPD, I

found myself needing PPPD version 2.3 or greater.  These versions that
have auth up/down scripts which can be used for logging users (I cannot
log users with the PPPD version 2.2 that comes installed with FreeBSD
2.2.5/2.2.6 when authenticating via CHAP as it does not create utmp
entries).  I have been unsuccessful at installing PPPD version 2.3.3
(the latest one that I could find).  The FreeBSD patches do not seem to
be compatible with any FreeBSD greater than 2.2.

Has anyone been able to install PPPD 2.3 (or greater) on FreeBSD?  If
so, please let me know what version of PPPD you installed.  I have
checked the man pages, the release notes, and the Awfulhack page, but
could not get any useful help for this problem.  I couldn't find any
help in the mailing list archives either.

Or, if anyone is using PPPD 2.2 and authenticating users via CHAP, how
are you properly administrating the system (i.e. keeping an eye on
users, creating usage logs, etc...)?

Thanks in advance,

.../ Aaron Leiba
aml@risca.com