Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:56:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: was this really necessary? [ was Re: The FreeBSD Jive   Copyright ]

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Chip Morton wrote:

> To all others who responded in favor of the humor or in defense of the
> individual's right to free speech, I believe you've missed the point
> entirely.  The jive filter isn't based on a dialect; it's based on a
> centuries old stereotype of African-American speech.  The content of the

"jive" was as much a dialect as any other popular vernacular is for its
time. Its certainly not based of a centuries old stereotype. Its more
recent then hippie/flower child speak, beatnik, etc. And its no different
then the vernacular of present day MTV, hip-hop, or club crowd (insert
any subculture here that you like [subculture being a component of the
whole culture not a diminutive]).