Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:18:57 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: bridgeing not routing

> I'm looking at a packet from a packet capture. The packet's IP=20
> address was sourced within our LAN, destination a server out on=20
> the Internet (it is a tcp ack, part of an ongoing session) The=20
> packet's mac addresses were sourced from the inside interface of=20
> the firewall and destination to our LAN's core router. Our=20
> firewall is operating in bridging mode, however, not routing. It=20
> has a management IP address on the inside interface, but that's=20
> it. No other IP address assigned.
>=20
> Under what conditions would an ipfw bridging firewall grab hold=20
> of an outgoing packet and send it back, substituting it's own mac=20
> address for the source and the inner LAN router for the destination?=20
>=20
> TIA for any insight
>=20
> Fred Portnoy
> Network Analyst
> Plymouth State University

There are probably a few reasons I can't think of, but there are a few =
obvious ones. First, the machine that sent the packet may have the =
firewall's management IP set as its default route or as a route to that =
destination. Second, the machine that sent the packet may have received =
an ICMP redirect from the firewall. Third, the packet might be =
maliciously crafted. Fourth, the firewall may have either fragmented or =
reassembled the packet.

DS