Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 09:24:18 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@brandinnovators.com
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

Jordan K. Hubbard scribbled this message on Jul 11:
> 	2. An /etc/ld.so.conf file which overrides our current "peek around
> 	   and add" ldconfig path code in rc - if you have an /etc/ld.so.conf
> 	   file, it's assumed to contain all the ldconfig path info.

why not make a /etc/ld.so.conf that overrides, and then do a
/usr/local/etc/ld.so.conf that adds to the list...  that way we stay
within our current, "don't touch /etc, touch /usr/local" mind set that
we seem to be following...

> Now this is generally a good thing from the vendor's standpoint (and
> it was, in fact, Xi Graphics, Inc. who first requested it) since they
> don't have to messily edit the /etc/rc file, they can just tack their
> own lib paths onto the end of /etc/ld.so.conf.  The question which is
> now raised in my mind, however, is a simple one:

if we do what I say above, then they can add in /usr/local/etc/ld.so.conf
and they don't even touch the base system.. nice for trying to get to a
read-only root...

> On the other hand, making it an override also means that the minute
> you "buy in" to /etc/ld.so.conf, you have to buy in all the way.  An
> automated installation can't simply create ld.so.conf and start
> appending custom paths to it, it has to first detect that it's not
> there on a user's system and populate it with a sensible initial path,
> the most up-to-date value for "sensible" being pretty much whatever's
> auto-detected by default in the no-etc-ld.so.conf clause of /etc/rc.

see above, basicly start out /etc/ld.so.conf with just the first or
possibly both:
/usr/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib

then you have in /usr/local/etc/ld.so.conf:
/usr/local/lib

of course it may be argued that /usr/local/lib should be added to the
base ld.so.conf...  but if there aren't any ports/packages that have
installed libs, it would be a "wasted" dir to check...  it isn't hard
to make sure that a dir is in the file (like /usr/local/lib) so that
ports installing libs can auto add themselves to the file...   this will
also help for ports that want to install the libs someplace other than
/usr/local/lib (Modula-3 comes to mind)...

this will also make the bsd.port.mk a little more bloated though... but
the code would be straight forward...

> What do folks here think?  Right now the behavior is "override", but
> since we're not using it yet, it's still a reasonable time to change
> that if necessary. :-)

sounds like a good addition the FreeBSD's easy of configurablity...
ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD