Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:32:35 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Dave Abouav <dave@transducertech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system hangs on boot up if no internet available

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:04:15PM -0700, Dave Abouav wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > On Jul 23, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Dave Abouav wrote:
> >> I setup a FreeBSD server (v 6.1) for my company as a simple Samba=20
> >> server. It works fine. Except once in awhile our access to the=20
> >> outside internet goes out (due to our ISP), and when it does the=20
> >> FreeBSD server gets hung up, even after rebooted.

What does hung up mean in the case that it's not rebooted?=20

> >> This happened this=20
> >> morning, so I put a console on it, and rebooted it. I saw that it=20
> >> gets hung trying to start sshd. No error messages are given. If I hit=
=20
> >> Control-C, to skip loading sshd, then the rest of the boot-up goes=20
> >> normally and people can again access the server. Any ideas how I can=
=20
> >> avoid this problem? I'd rather not skip the loading of sshd. I don't=
=20
> >> have any special programs on the server that contact the outside world.
> >
> > It's probably doing something which needs a DNS lookup.  Do you have a=
=20
> > subnet-local nameserver available, or does simply waiting for 2=20
> > minutes or so for a timeout do the trick?

[please don't top-post!]
> Our DNS goes through our ISP. The IP addresses of their DNS servers are=
=20
> hard-coded into the server's /etc/rc.conf file.  No amount of waiting=20
> seems to help. It always just hangs trying to load sshd.

First, try starting sshd in test mode (-t) to see if your config and
keys are OK.=20

Then, with the outside connection down, try starting sshd with the -d
and -e options (and other options that you might have specified in
/etc/rc.conf) to see where it goes wrong.

Roland
--=20

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--