Date:      15 Jul 1999 12:48:00 +0200
From:      maulwurf@subloch.medicusnet.de (Stefan Huerter)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS performance between Linux & FreeBSD

Guckux Rob

> FreeBSD client to Linux server, I get really good writes.
> Linux client to FreeBSD server I get about 4x slower writes.
> 2.37 sec for a 16MB cp qtrial99.exe test.exe vs. 10.21 sec for the
> same (~16MB file)

> Where do I go from here to debug the issue?

So far as I know, Linux supports only NFS2, and against the SUN-NFS2-
specifications, the writes are buffered.
FreeBSD supports NFS3, this solves this problem in another way. I think
it's possible to tell FreeBSD NFS2-Server to buffer the NFS-writes too...
but didn't know where you can find it (I didn't prefer this)

Bye
     Stefan