Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:15:34 -0400
From:      "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc@gmail.com>
To:        "David King" <dking@ketralnis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

On 04/09/06, David King <dking@ketralnis.com> wrote:
> >> I am looking for a small computer that is silent or very quiet to sit
> >> in a home office.
> > I think you might want to wait a month or two until Intel Core 2
> > "Conroe" and "Allendale" become more readily available.
>
> Indeed (less than a month later), a vendor called Shuttle just
> released this machine: <http://sys.us.shuttle.com/X100.aspx>;

I wonder how much this thing costs... They are comparing it against
Mac mini on their own web-site, and as far as space, quietness, power
consumption and price are concerned, Mac mini is definitely a winner
among the two :)

> They call it their X100 and it's just smaller than a cereal box. It
> has an Intel Core Duo in it.

That's not what I was talking about: X100 is based on Core Duo, not
Core Duo 2, which is the newest, latest, fastest and cheapest
processor available :)

You might as well want to wait until the new Mac mini now, rumours say
that it's about to be released quite soon:
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0608macmini.html (2006-08-29)

BTW, back to your question about FreeBSD on Mac mini, you probably
will not have any problems with booting FreeBSD on Mac mini, as it
seems to work with OpenBSD after some update by Apple:
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060817213709

Cheers,
Constantine.