Date:      03 Nov 1999 19:58:39 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        archiver@db.geocrawler.com
Subject:   Re: blocked root: digital unix

"Neeraj Bhatia" <archiver@db.geocrawler.com> writes:

> Dear Freinds,

> I am running dig unix on alpha. Till yesterday I was receiving a
> message saying that root passwd would expire dec 7.So i treid to
> increase the life time through dxaccounts Now the m/c refuses to take
> root logins. It doesnot allow any other user logins too...

A wild guess now, because I am not running digital unix, just FreeBSD.
Can you bring the system to single user mode somehow?  After that, try
mounting the filesystems as read-write manually, change the root
password thing, umount all filesystems and reboot.

I don't know if this is going to be actually of any help, but that's
what I would do.  At least before paying some money on phone-calls to
tech-support and stuff.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]