Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2012 10:32:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can we migrate a live ataraid system to graid ?

We created a few 8.3-RELEASE systems with boot mirrors using onboard Intel ICH10R.  The system picks up the mirror with "ataraid" and I see it in dmesg like this:

ar0: 114312MB <DDF RAID1> status: READY

But it seems that graid is a much better option, and ataraid has problems (I am seeing chatter on freebsd-fs and other places about problems).

Is it possible for us to migrate this boot mirror to graid ?  Can we just leave the mirror as-is (since it was bios formatted) and just start using graid ?

Has anyone done this switch on a live system, or is it impossible (and we need to reformat and start over) ?

Thanks.