Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:41:59 -0700
From:      "Brent Wiese" <brently@bjwcs.com>
To:        "'admin'" <admin2@enabled.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: /usr/local/etc/rc.d files not running on reboot

> My machine crashed last night and upon reboot not all the
> services that are executable in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d ran.
> Any clues how I can find out why this happened?

<<snip>>

This happened to me on 4.8 recently too. What it ended up being was the
"sendmail-client" startup thing. I'd replaced sendmail w/ postfix, but for
some reason, this sendmail-client thing still tried to run, and since I
wasn't running sendmail, it just sat there forever. If I ctrl-c'd on the
console, it would proceed to run all the startup scripts.

I haven't used sendmail in years, but I think this was meant to clear the
queue out.

I'm not sure if there is a rc.conf entry to stop it (didn't look close
enough, but "sendmail_enable=NO" didn't do it). I just commented the
sendmail-client stuff out.

Its been a while so I don't remember exactly where this stuff was, but you
can probably find it.

Once I did that, everything ran again.

Cheers,
Brent