Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2020 20:14:36 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Alexander Koeppe <format_c@online.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Light GeoIP support dropped?

Alexander Koeppe wrote on 2020/01/07 19:47:
> Am 06.01.20 um 22:46 schrieb Christoph Moench-Tegeder:
>> ## Alexander Koeppe (format_c@online.de):
>>
>>> since I've upgraded to FreeBSD 12, I don't find a package providing
>>> the lightweight geoip database API incl. GeoIP.h and libGeoIP.so.
>>
>> The so-called "legacy" database format used by libGeoIP has been
>> discontinued by MaxMind, and is only available for paying customers:
>> https://blog.maxmind.com/2018/01/02/discontinuation-of-the-geolite-legacy-databases/
>>

>> For that reason, net/GeoIP has been removed quite some time ago:
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=493168
>>
>> And the free (as in no payment required) GeoLite2 databases have seen
>> some
>> licensing/handling changes, too:
>> https://blog.maxmind.com/2019/12/18/significant-changes-to-accessing-and-using-geolite2-databases/
>>

>> Regards,
>> Christoph
>>

> Thanks for the hints. All the information is very clearing.
> This deprecation has completely slipped through for me.
> I'll dig into the new GeoLite2 approach and see what's the impact for my
> software project.
>
> Thanks to all and all others who have responded.

Free registration and license key works without any problem. But if your
software accessed DB or CSV files directly then it will not work anymore
because format of database was changed from one flat table to few tables
with relations. If your SW uses some library do access the DB then it
may work with updated dependency.
My usecase was very simple shellscript so I was able to convert it to
new CSV files. They can be converted to the old format if somebody need it.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman