Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:47:50 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Chris Casey <chriss@phys.ksu.edu>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XP1000/Linux/things

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Chris Casey writes:
>  > On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>  > >
>  > > You can type 'ls' at the loader prompt (before it boots) to see what
>  > > files are on / (or on /boot/kernel/* for -current)
>  > >
>  >
>  > Thats the thing, i never get to a loader prompt, it bails out aparently
>  > when its trying to load the kernel before it gives the option to boot or
>  > get the loader prompt. This disk has been messed with with linux fdisk, I
>  > see no fdiskish utils in sysinstall. Does sysinstall do any
>  > checks/reorganizing on the disk when it lays out the fs?
>  >
>  > oh.. my retry from the 4.1-install.iso just finished, and it seems that
>  > that one works fine. So its something on the 4.1.1 that doesnt get along
>  > with this machine. At least its alive now.
>
> If you have a chance (and don't mind trashing your machine), can you
> install the boot1 bootstrap from the 4.1.1 CD?  If you see the same
> behaviour (ksp not valid) then the 1st stage boostrap is what's messed
> up, not the second stage (loader).
>
> You should be able to install boot1 from the 4.1 CD the same way you
> did above to back out if this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

Do you know what is odd?  I have a stuck alpha with the exact same problem.
.. except I have -current on mine.  My error is slightly different, because
it is trying to look for /boot/kernel/kernel[maybe .ko, I dont recall],
and I only had /kernel on that box.

We have a cd that can be used for a fixit, right?  (and I still have the
old disk that was used on this box, it is still bootable so when I get a
chance, I will boot with that and see what is up.)

Cheers,
-Peter