Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 11:40:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iBCS2, socksys and all that jazz...

> Ok; having just supped and make-worlded -current, I'm hunting the
> "why doesn't socksys work" problem.
>
> There's code in -current for socksys ioctls, but nothing to handle the
> day-to-day open/close stuff needed for these ioctls.
>
> Is this something that's currently under development?
What you do is link socksys to /dev/null
it just supplies an fd for the ioctl to be done on..
the ioctl is recognised by it's ioctl ID on failure
The iBSC2 code says..
"hmm that ioclt failed.. Hey I know that.. it's a SOCKSYS ioctl,
ok, let's do 'THIS'" and it emulates it. so what file you openned
only matters in that it needs to FAIL the ioctl with the correct manner.