Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 08:07:09 -0500
From:      Rob Winters <rob@annapurna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mx0??

At 06:21 PM 12/7/99 -0700, Chris Wasser wrote:
>on 12/7/1999 12:20 PM, gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com wrote:
> > I am trying to get freeBSD installed using LinkSys internet cards. The
> > card is detected as mx0 but then it gives the ethernet address of the card
> > as 255.255.255.255. That seems weird to me. Also, it says something like
> > can't send setup frame or something close to that. Is there something
> > wrong with these cards and FreeBSD?

<snip>

>Nope,  the  LinkSys (LNE100TX v2.0) cards work fine (mx#) I'm using two of
>them
>in my
>BSD box:

<snip>

A data point for you. I have two Linksys NC100's.
<http://www.linksys.com/products/nc100.htm>;
These may be the LNE100TX re-packaged, and then they may not; I don't
have any for comparison. I was completely unsuccessful in getting two
of these cards to work on the PCI bus of this crappy Dell P60 motherboard
I'm running. I finally gave up, and installed one ISA card and one PCI
card just to get on with life.

Error messages varied, including those of the continuous "unable to send",
"unable to complete", "no response from", variety. Also hard hangs, and
on the occasional boot, mx1 would not even be seen! DOS diags failed when
both cards were in the box, and passed when one card was installed.

Just thought I'd toss that out there, in case the driver developer doesn't
know about the cards yet. I'm sure CompUSA sold a ton of 'em at $20/ea.

  /// Rob