Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:29:12 +0100
From:      Niek Bergboer <niek@wit379119.student.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AHC / Tape drive problems on 4.2-STABLE

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 11:49:33PM +1100, Zero Sum wrote:
>       I don't know if this is going to help, SCSI can be a black art
> sometimes, but I had problems going from 3-5-STABLE to 4.2-STABLE with an
> Adaptec 2940UW (onboard).  The most significant thing was that the
> frequency dropped from 20MHz to 10MHz halving transfer speed.  I never got
> around to analysing the problem (as other more serious issues arose) but I
> co-incidently replaced the cable with a cable that was actively terminated
> (not by a switch on the last device or by a resistor).  When I fitted the
> new cable the problem (and sundry grumblings) vanished.  It might be that
> 4.2 is more sensitive to termination conditions, particularly if you are
> manipulating wires to decrease the number of needed pins with the
> "narrow-to-wide convertor plug needed".  The 390U2W might be a little more
> intelligent about termination.

Just to get back at the subject: changing the speeds in the SCSI BIOS didn't help, neither did the termination setting in the BIOS. I finally "solved" (i.e.
circumvented) the problem by swapping the SCSI card with a Dawi-control DC 2974
(using BSD's 'amd' driver) which was in another machine driving a scanner
under NT4.

The DC2974 works fine, so my work gets done, but I still don't like the fact
that it didn't work under BSD.

> Disclaimer:  Speculation based on a single observation stretched to fit the
> facts.

;) IANAA, I won't sue you.. ;)

> Zero Sum

Niek