Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:13:02 -0800
From:      Bengt Richter <bokr@accessone.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   is there a paranoia script ?

I would like a simple centralized
interactive (if -i) way to make sure all
the "doors" in my system are set to defined
states for different modes of operation.
By "doors" I mean various means of access
to resources, e.g., fire-wall-controlled
access, other daemon-controlled access,
file-permission-controlled access, etc.

Is there a configurable script that can
make transitions gracefully (including
restore to prev state if interrupted),
without shutting down, along the lines
of the following?

	(guided by paranoia.conf)
paranoia -q
	check all "doors" quietly and make
	and log any necessary changes to
	conform to paranoia.conf defaults
	(good double-check at end of startup?)
paranoia -s
	print status of all monitored "doors" to stdout
paranoia -i [ -O | -C ]
	walk through all "doors" in default mode list
	in paranoia.conf and give option to "open" or
	"close" each. "-O" would just walk the default
	open list (the ones that "should be" open), and
	"-C" would walk the should-be-closed list for
	optional change.
paranoia [ -i | -s ] [ -O | -C ] -m modeName
	same as above but for an alternate set of
	defaults in paranoia.conf tagged with "modeName"
	This would make for easy change between modes
	defining selective lockouts such as external
	net, local net, shared resources, etc.

crontab could let you define hacker curfew times (e.g.,
by defining a mode with DSL/cable walled out), which
you could interactively override if you get in early
(and have priv to run paranoia), etc.

This would also make it easier to experiment with toggling
combinations of experimental restrictions on file/directory
access, etc., with less risk of forgetting to restore something
(assuming you defined opened/closed properly in paranoia.conf).

This is a sketch of functionality that I'd like in one
easy to use script. I'm guessing someone has had this itch
before, and scratched it?