Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 95 13:40:39 -0500
From:      crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon)
To:        James Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:  how does one get perl for 2.0?

" I should like to get perl 4 for the 2.0 release.  Have
" I missed it somewhere?

It's in there.  But 'which perl' will show /usr/bin/perl, whereas most
perl scripts begin with '#!/usr/local/bin/perl' 8-(

This is a problem in more than one area.  Some nitty gritty scripts
which attempt portability will reference things like /bin/true --and
of course, that's /usr/bin/true in FreeBSD!

My cure is to leave the software alone, and make symlinks as needed
to keep the scripts happy.  I still write perl '#!/usr/local/bin/perl'.

" 				Jim Binkley
" 				jrb@cs.pdx.edu

	Chuck Bacon - crtb@helix.nih.gov
"Those who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like."
							A. Lincoln