Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:45:23 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        "Richard J. Kuhns" <rjk@mcmillen-associates.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I can't use mplayer to listen to RealAudio streams

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:24:44PM -0500, Richard J. Kuhns wrote:
> I'd like to use mplayer to listen to RealAudio streams, since Linux
> RealPlayer dumps core on me whenever there's enough network congestion to
> cause a long break in the stream.

I've explored building mplayer from source.  To use RealAudio
streams, RealAudio needs to be detected at the time you've run
'configure' for the build.  It uses the RealAudio files for playing.

So, you need the Linux RealAudio player anyway.  And in my own
experiences, even playing with a local realaudio file, mplayer does
a _worse_ job than RealAudio.

> It apparently should work but doesn't, and I don't know why.  I'm running
> FreeBSD 4.7-stable as of mid November, I have Linux RealPlayer installed
> (I checked -- /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay exists), and I compiled
> mplayer with -DWITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION.  I've tried both with and
> without -DWITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.

When you ran './configure', it should have printed out a list of
enabled and disabled codecs.  Was realplayer in that list at all?
My configure of MPlayer-0.90rc2 says this:

  Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: streaming tv-bsdbt848 edl tv dvdnav mpdvdkit2 vcd
    Codecs: qtx libavcodec real xanim dshow/dmo win32 libvorbis libmad
    Audio output: arts oss sdl mpegpes(file)
    Video output: xvidix bl sdl gif89a jpeg png mpegpes(file) svga aa ggi opengl
 dga xv x11
  Disabled optional drivers:
    Input: tv-v4l cdda dvdread dvdcss
    Codecs: opendivx xvid libdv liblzo
    Audio output: sgi sun alsa dxr2 nas win32
    Video output: zr dxr3 dxr2 directx vesa fbdev xmga mga directfb tdfxfb 3dfx

Note the 'real' codec in the 'Enabled optional drivers' block.  Note
the 'configure' options WRT 'real', when you run './configure
--help'.

Good luck...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842