Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:03:17 +1100
From:      "Andrew MacLeod" <a.macleod@ballarat.edu.au>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot hangs on mpt0: failing to detect tape drive

Ok, ill try my best.

This LSI Config Utility shows up 2 adapters as follows

Adapter  PCI Bus   Dev/func  Port     IRQ  NVM  Boot Order   LSI Logic
Control      RAID Status
LSI1030     2          29>          CC00    11    YES         0
        enabled                     --
LSI1030     2          28>          C800      7    YES         1
         enabled                     --

We have tried altering some of the settings but nothing seems relevant.
The LSI MegaRaid utility where we setup the RAID is equally unhelpful,
but i would appreciate any advice in regard to what i should be seeing
in these tools as my hardware knowledge is only basic. Should I be able
to see the tape drive itself in the LSI Logic utility?

In regard to the tape drive Im Not sure exactly what you mean by
"Powered on". It has power connected and we have tried booting with a
tape inserted. It seems to function correctly in terms of loading
tapes/lights etc. We have not altered any of the jumper settings as we
assumed that it would have been setup correctly.

I booted with the w/o the tape hooked up and it booted fine. Hooked up
the tape and the following is the output of the camcontrol rescan all
command

Re-scan of bus 0 was successful
Re-scan of bus 1 was successful
Re-scan of bus 2 was successful
Re-scan of bus 3 was successful
Re-scan of bus 4 was successful
Re-scan of bus 5 was successful
Re-scan of bus 6 was successful
Re-scan of bus 7 was successful

camcontrol devlist -v shows

scbus0 on amr0 bus0
scbus1 on amr0 bus1
scbus2 on amr1 bus0
<ESG -SHV SCA HSBP M29 1.06>               at scbus2 target 6 lun 0
(ses0 pass0)
scbus3 on amr1 bus1
scbus4 on mpt0 bus0
< >                                                              at
scbus4 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus5 on mpt0 bus0
< >                                                              at
scbus5 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus6 on mpt0 bus0
< >                                                              at
scbus6 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus7 on mpt0 bus0
< >                                                              at
scbus7 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus0
< >                                                              at
scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

I have had to transcribe the above so please forgive any errors. Had no
success upon reboot.

Cheers
          Andrew

Andrew Macleod
Technical Manager
Centre for Electronic Commerce and Communications
University of Ballarat
Registered Provider Number 00103D

Suite 12A Greenhill Enterprise Centre
University Drv Mt Helen 3350
Tel: +61 3 5327 9315
Email: a.macleod@ballarat.edu.au

Andrew Macleod
Technical Manager
Centre for Electronic Commerce and Communications
University of Ballarat
Registered Provider Number 00103D

Suite 12A Greenhill Enterprise Centre
University Drv Mt Helen 3350
Tel: +61 3 5327 9315
Email: a.macleod@ballarat.edu.au

>>> "Matthew Jacob" <lydianconcepts@gmail.com> 7/03/2006 3:39 am >>>
Lot's of problems here.... When you say "had no luck with BIOS"- that
means you can see it no problem in the LSI Config utility?

First- is the tape drive powered on?

Also- try this experiment: boot w/o the tape hooked up. If all is
well, connect the tape and do, as root, 'camcontrol rescan all'.

On 3/5/06, Andrew MacLeod <a.macleod@ballarat.edu.au> wrote:
> Currently trying to install freebsd on a new ACER Altos R710 server.
> Having problems on bootup where it seems not able to detect the
Internal
> Sony AIT-2 Turbo tape drive. System hangs at mpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
for
> five minutes then several messages like the following:
>
> mpt0: Soft Reset Failed: ack timeout
> mpt0: WARNING - Failed Hard Reset
> mpt0: failed to reset device
> mpt0: soft reset failed: device not running.
> IOcmpt: LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 adapter.....
>
> When I disconnect the tape drive from the SCSI card system boots
fine.
> I am running Freebsd 6.0-Release with a slightly modified GENERIC
Kernel
> to enable SMP and PF.
> I am not a hardward expert but I will try to explain the setup of
the
> system as best I can. The server is a dual xeon with 5x73GB SCSI
hard
> discs which we have setup in a combination of RAID 1 for the
operating
> system and RAID 5 for the data. These run on an LSILogic 2 channel
SCSI